Kay Asare

UKBA Approved exam

Spouse/Partner Visa (A1)

  • UKBA Approved exam: GESE Grade 2 (A1)
  • Speaking & Listening
  • 10 minute exam
  • Immediate provisional results (pass or fail)
  • Official certificate posted to you within 1-2 weeks

If you are a British citizen or a UK legal permanent resident with no restrictions on your stay and you wish to bring your foreign fiancée, partner or spouse along with any dependant aged under 18 to the UK, you will need to sponsor them for a suitable settlement Visa.

If your partner or spouse is currently overseas, they’ll need to apply for their Visa or entry clearance from their local British embassy, high commission or consulate, or if they’re currently in the UK on a long-term Visa of their own, such as a work permit or student Visa, it’s possible that they can switch to a further leave to remain from within the UK.

A suitable settlement Visa or further leave to remain gives your partner or spouse the right to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years. After the initial probationary period has passed, they can apply for indefinite leave to remain which extends this right to an unlimited basis. Alternatively, if your loved one is overseas and you’re planning to get married in the UK within 6 months, you can apply for a fiancée or proposed civil partner Visa.

Immigrating to the UK as the fiancée or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or UK legalpermanent resident is essentially a two-step process. The first part generally happen overseas when they apply for their Visa from their local British embassy high commission or consulate and the second part happens in the UK once you’re married when the initial 6 month Visa is converted to a two year further leave to remain from within the UK.

Please note that fiancée Visa holders are not permitted to work in the UK. Both of you must be aged at least 21 at the time of application although if one or both of you is in H.M forces you can be aged 18.

In addition to certain age and language requirements for your partner, as a sponsor, you must be able to prove that your partner will have no recourse to public funds. Essentially this means that you can show you have adequate funding and accommodation for your partner and any dependant without taking any government benefits. – Kay Asare